February is Heart Health Month! Heart health is extremely important, especially in seniors. The BeeHive Home Care team in Texas is here with a few ways your aging loved one can improve their heart health this year.
- Be active: There are many heart-healthy activities the elderly can incorporate into their daily routine. Exercise remains one of the best ways to maintain a healthy heart and improve overall health. A few suggested activities are walking, dancing, and water aerobics. If the senior in your life has limited mobility, there are many seated exercises and stretches they can do to keep moving.
- Know your numbers: Having a clear understanding of where your health is, is crucial. Knowing your cholesterol and blood pressure is a huge step in maintaining heart health.
- Take your diet seriously: Believe it or not, certain foods can improve the heart’s health. Foods rich in Omega-3 provide a good type of fat that benefits the heart and the body.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Weight is a huge factor in heart health and the body’s general health. Make sure to keep a healthy balance of calories/activity. Even for those with limited mobility who have in-home care there are ways to maintain a healthy diet and to keep moving.
- Do not smoke: Smoking greatly impacts heart and lung health. Smoking can lead to heart disease, along with more severe consequences. There are many resources out there that your loved one can take advantage of to quit.
At BeeHive Home Care, our caregivers take the health of our clients very seriously. Good health starts with good habits and positive lifestyle changes. For more questions about our in-home senior care services or heart health, reach out to us.